Monday, March 9, 2009

Update on Kulia

Last Wednesday, Kulia, my mom, and I went to see Dr. Mohrdar, an alternative medicine doctor to find out if there was anything we could do to help with all of Kulia's illnesses. As many of you know, I have been extremely frustrated and stressed about the amount of drugs, steroids, and other antibiotics that she has been taking the last 4 years and I really wanted some answers. Dr. Mohrdar actually gave some very logical reasons as to why Kuila has been such a sick child. He believes, as I do, that she has long term effects from when she was born and not breathing. I have always believed that her birth had something to do with her respiratory problems, although I have been told by several doctors that is was just a coincidence. Dr. Mohrdar explained that when a baby is born, they have mucus and this mucus contains enzymes with antibodies that help build their immune system. He believes because Kulia was suctioned so much that the good bacteria, antibodies, were taken from her, therefore she did not have a foundation to build her immune system. Also he said that having tube in her nose and throat caused inflammation and this inflammation could possibly have never gone down because her immune system could not react. I also asked about her lack of hair growth. He said the drugs "absolutely" have something to do with her hair growth. He believes that her body can not metabolize the nutrition from food because of her weakened immune system. This totally makes sense to me because not only does her hair hardly grow, but I never have to cut her nails either. I have heard in the past, when you are healthy you can tell by the strength and growth of your nails. In addition, he explained other side effects of steroids and antibiotics and how it continues to weaken her system instead of build it up. This is why every other child gets a cold and heals and why her colds turn in to respiratory problems. He says, by the time her body realizes that it needs to fight it is to late and she has a major infection. Dr. Mohrdar spend about an hour and 45 minutes talking with me and observing Kulia. It was awesome. I really like him and feel like what he was saying was logical. All the other doctors she has seen, usually say they don't know why it keeps happening or it is because of being around sick people and I never feel like I get answers to the real problem. Dr. Mohrdar said that she doesn't have enough of the good bacteria in her system to build her immune system and fight infection. Therefore, he put her on two remedies. Both of them are all natural and have no side effects. In addition to starting her on these remedies he sent her to the lab to have blood work done. He is checking her kidneys, liver, thyroid, and many other things. They took a great deal of blood. He also said that he doesn't believe that she has allergies. He thinks that her body can not fight anything. After he gets the blood work back we will see him again and see what our options are. I am looking forward to finding out more answers and hope for the best. I am going to continue to go to him in hopes that we will get positive results. My only other options is to continue to see her other doctors and continue to have her on drugs that are not healthy for her. Please keep us in your prayers and pray that we are going down the right path and will have answers. Thank you for all of your love and support. I will keep you posted on anything new he tells us.

3 comments:

Annie said...

OMG It sounds like this Dr. Is really on top of it. I am so glad you went, as I know how much stress this has caused in your life. Worrying about a child is absolutely the worst agony ever!!

Kari said...

Thanks Annie! As you know, it has been really difficult for me. I really hope that Dr. Mohrdar's treatment works and we don't have any episodes!

RWilson05 said...

God is faithful, and the great physician! My youngest son was born with respiratory problems as well, and spent the first 15 days in NICU, being suctioned, ventilated, drugged, tested, pricked, poked, violated in every way. It was a necessary evil. I will add your daughter to our prayer list. I'm starting one on my blog, it's in the works right now. It's scary to watch your child go through these things, however God promises that the plans he has for us are good, and that all things work together for good for those who believe... He is in control... He is good!
Rachael @ Frugal Mommy

Super Bowl Sunday-February 1, 2009

Super Bowl Sunday-February 1, 2009
Family Picture at Danny and Heather's